Tuesday 5 September 2023

Welcome to Science Class

  Welcome to Science 10! 

This course is a lab course which will cover Chemistry, Physics, and Biology   It is expected that you will receive most of your course content on line and we will do labs and field study in class.  You will hand in ALL assignments as paper assignments or through Microsoft Teams.    I have set up my class so that the majority of the class notes shall be distributed on line from this blog.  

The majority of class time will be lab work (chemistry and physics experiments, microscope work) and also field study (walking to Trout Lake).  My windows shall be open ALL THE TIME to give us nice fresh air.  


ASSIGNMENT 1. HAND IN YOUR CONSENT FORM  /5

Please get the consent form signed and bring it back to class. It will give us the ability to walk to Trout Lake or Renfrew Ravine or go to a local field study at any time that I announce during the term.   Bring this consent form to class.   evaluation:  5 points for handing this in

As we go into your semester , I would like to prepare for learning during the respiratory season of flu, RSV and covid 19.   

SAFETY MEASURES:

 In class, our safety measures will include:

- good ventilation. I will be using a CO2 monitor to check the air quality in our class. If this number goes above 800ppm CO2 then there is a 1% rebreathed fraction meaning that 1 breath out of 100 is from someone else's lungs. Beyond this point I will ask for volunteers to wear a mask so that my class remains accessible to those who are medically vulnterable

- wear a mask! It is encouraged because you will be an ally for those who are medically vulnerable or those who live with people who are vulnerable. 

- no academic penalties for being home sick, for isolating or for a +ive diagnosis of covid-19 either in yourself or a household member. You only need to email me to tell me of your positive test, and I will excuse you from homework.

- windows shall be open in my class to admit adequate ventilation.  Further we will conduct class outside wherever possible as outside is safer than inside at this time.  Dress for the weather and be prepared to be outdoors rain or shine.